AlbaNova University Center, the Stockholm Center for Physics, Astronomy and Biotechnology, is a research and education initiative run jointly by the Royal Institute of Technology(KTH)and Stockholm University(SU).
The official name of the Center is
Stockholms centrum för fysik, astronomi och bioteknik
(observera att "universitetscentrum" och ämnesbeteckningarna ska skrivas med gemener)
AlbaNova University Center
[The] Stockholm Center for Physics, Astronomy and Biotechnology
In most cases the sub-heading should be left out, for example in running text or in addresses.
Note: During 2001 and 2002, the Center's official name was what it now the sub-heading, "[The] Stockholm Center for Physics, Astronomy and Biotechnology". The official abbreviation was "SCFAB", which has in some contexts lived on after the change to AlbaNova, for example in some web and email addresses.
Please do not use the abbreviation in other contexts.
"Fysikcentrum"("The Physics Center"), the project name of the Center when it was being built, is also occasionally still used in Swedish, though it no longer gives a correct description of the Center.
AlbaNova University Center currently encompasses four departments of Stockholm University(SU)and the Royal Institute of Technology(KTH):
- Department of Astronomy /Stockholm Observatory(SU)
- Department of Biotechnology (KTH)
- Fysikum (SU)
- Department of Physics (KTH)
In addition, the following research centers and groups are either wholly or partly located at the Center:
The aims of the Center are that it
- shall provide a stimulating and attractive research environment
- shall stimulate interdisciplinary research
- shall provide first-class undergraduate and postgraduate programs
- shall be regarded as a strong and effective institution in its own right
- shall strengthen the standing of physics, astronomy and biotechnology both nationally and internationally
- shall be organizationally effective